7 Facts About Milk and Dairy Cattle
- About 73% of calcium available in the food supply is provided by milk and milk products.
- Milk is packed with essential nutrients including protein, calcium and vitamin D.
- It takes...
- 12 pounds of whole milk to make 1 gallon of ice cream.
- 21.2 pounds of milk to make 1 pound of butter.
- 10 pounds of milk to make 1 pound of cheese.
- To get the same amount of calcium provided by one 8-ounce glass of milk, you would have to eat 4.5 servings of broccoli, 16 servings of spinach or 5.8 servings of whole wheat bread.
- All 50 states have dairy farms.
- There are 6 breeds of dairy cows: Holstein, Jersey, Guernsey, Brown Swiss, Ayrshire and Milking Shorthorn
- The average cow produces 8 gallons of milk per day, that’s over 100 glasses of milk!